Friday, August 14, 2009

Fear of Death

As the health care debate heats up the controvesy about the myth of "death panel" is still out in the blogosphere and on talk radio. Senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa suggested that the provision to discuss end of life issues be removed from the House Bill. Sarah Palin tweeted that she is happy it is being removed.

The underlying issue here is not about cost of health care, but about the fear of death.In my line of work as a hospice chaplain, I see a lot of people who are deathly afraid of death. There are patients on hospice care who don't want the term hospice mentioned in their presence. There are families who refuse to make funeral arrangements,because they fear that if arrangements are made, death will happen soon. There are parents who won't take their young children to grandma's funeral because they want to shield them from a negative experience.

I see death and dying on a daily basis. I have no fear of death. I do occasional "death meditation" which helps me to gain deeper perspectives on life. I think death is the most beautiful experience of life as the spirit frees itself from its bondage to the ego; the ultimate merging on my spirit with the eternal Spirit.

Being in constant touch with this inevitable reality of life helps me to live a more meaningful and fulfilling life. It reminds me that life is impermanent, attachments are tentative, worrying about future is futile, and that the only thing that counts is this moment and that "there are no ordinary moments".

No comments:

Post a Comment