Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Fast forward future

Today I visited a patient who is 85, who sufferes from various illnesses and is on hospice. I met with his wife who is twenty years younger. They had 38 years of happy marriage and now the wife feels terrible that her beloved is living in a facility and she is worried he would fall and die without she being there. At age 58 with a wife 13 years younger than myself, I experienced transference during that visit. Twenty years or less down the road, I could be in the same position, living in a facility, and facing the end of my existence. It is a scary feeling, but I better integrate that into my current life as one of life's inevitable experiences. Or may be not, I will live happy and healthy till the last day and just drop off the face of this planet with a smile on my face causing no burden to my family so that they can go on with their lives. That is the best possible outcome I am praying for daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment