Friday, October 2, 2009

Gandhi's 140th Birthday: BE the change

Today is Mahatma Gandhi's 140th birthday. In honor of him I did a devotional for my team at work. First, I asked the group if anyone could come up with five facts on Gandhi, and none could, except for one to ask: "Was Indira Gandhi the daughter of Mahatma Gandhi?"! I told them that although Gandhi was Hindu, he followed the teachings of Jesus. Once his biographer asked Gandhi why he did not become a Christian, Gandhi said: "because of the Christians." Winston Churchill said this of Gandhi: "There is only one Christian in India and he happens to be a Hindu."

One of the group members said that she has great respect for the Hindu religion and she went to a Hindu temple four times to just see and learn more. The response to that statement from another group member was very condescending. "But they worship fake Gods." I was curious and so I asked her who told her that, and the lady said: "God" pointing her finger upwards. "When did God tell you that Hindus worship fake gods? and she said:"It is in the Bible." Such dangerous ignorance is actually commonplace. Many people have no curiosity about other religions and cultures. They believe the ignorance conveyed to them from so many evangelical pulpits. It is sad that people have to be judgmental about what they have no idea about.

I honor Gandhi today by taking seriously the teachings of Jesus and trying to "be the change" that I want to see in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment