Thursday, April 28, 2011

Pay Attention, Be Alert

Tuesday, May 4, 2010
Pay Attention...Be Alert
I always tell people about the importance of paying attention and being alert. In fact, that is the title of my friend Piero's book: "Pay Attention,Be Alert" which I have inscribed in my consciousness. And yet, I made a boo boo last week, and almost paid for it,but the 'Universe' came to my aid and made it nice.

I upgraded my cell phone recently, but did not like the devise I ordered. So I got a new phone, but the old devise had to be sent back to ATT for which they had provided a pre-paid address label.

I packed the phone, affixed the pre-paid label and droppped it off in the UPS counter at the nearby Office Depot. Few hours later, I began doubting whether it was a UPS label or a USPS label? Very similar, yet different. Sure enough, when I went home and checked the old box, I found out to my dismay that it was supposed to be dropped off at any US Post Office.

I was distressed because, if the phone did not reach ATT in ten days, they will charge my credit card $299, the full price of the device. That was distressing in this hard economic times.

So the next day,I went back to the Office Depot to see if the package was left behind as UPS driver cannot scan it through his system. But there was no package left behind. In my distress, I said a small prayer, that the Universe take care of my problem and save me $299. I was driving while saying that prayer, and viola, I see a UPS truck in my rear view mirror. It pulled up beside me to turn left and I noticed the toll number on the side of the truck: 1-800-PICK-UPS. I just called that number to see if they could even track a package which was not in their system. The agent said that UPS and USPS had a mutual agreement that if they got each other's packages, they will drop it off in each other's facilities, because" People do this all the time." Obviously, I am not the only one not paying attetion!

I was really comforted by that news. Seven days later, I got an email from ATT saying that they had received my returned phone in their Texas wharehouse!

Praise the Lord! I thank God for the honesty of the people who handled that package. I thank God for the honesty and integrity of the majority of people. There are people who may do you harm, but by and large I believe in the goodness of humanity. My view of others as images of God, has always helped to turn apparent negative energies of situations into positive ones.

Always believe in the goodness of humanity and slow down and pay attention! And say a prayer too. It can eliminate a lot of pain and make life easier.
Posted by Paul Veliyathil at 7:34 AM 0 comments
Labels: Alertness, attention, power of prayer

No comments:

Post a Comment