Friday, August 20, 2010

I Met the President!!

Thursday August 19

"There are no red states; there are no blue states; there is only the United States of America; there is no Black America, there is no White America, there is no Latino America, there is no Asian America, there is only the United States of America." Those inspiring words of Barack Obama during the 2004 Democratic National Convention sent chills through my spine, because it was a courageous call to national unity and peace. Later, I read his book, THE AUDACITY OF HOPE which I highly recommend to all those who love and hate Barack Obama. In it, he lays out a spiritual vision calling for national unity world peace.

Ever since, I had hoped that some day, I would get to meet Obama in person and shake his hand. But when he became President, that hope diminished, because it is almost impossible for a commoner like me to meet the President. However, I was fortunate to meet President Obama and shake his hand, yesterday during a fund raising event at the Fountan Bleu Hotel in Miami. While shaking his hands, I told him: "Mr. President, I pray for you everyday." And he said:"Thank you, I need it." Then I patted his shoulders and he moved on. If you are curious about how I got to meet the leader of the free world in person, read on:

During the past four months, I was interim minister of Miami Lakes Congregational Church. Former Senator Bob Graham is a charter member of that church. During my tenure there, I got to know the Grahams. Mrs. Adele Graham has read my entire book of 52 sermons, GOD IS PLURAL, and she is a fan. Last Sunday, after church, Mrs. Graham suggested that her husband should take me and Pastor Jeff to see the President. When he asked me if I was interested, the answer was obvious. He took my social security number and promised to call me the next day.

Senator Graham called me on Tuesday and told me that I was cleared by the White House (thank God..I don't have a record!!!)to see the president. I was told to meet the Senator in his office in Miami Lakes at 2.30 PM. The Senator's Aide, Chip, drove the Grahams, Jeff and me to the airport. The plan was to welcome the president at the tarmac as he came down Air Force One. I was excited about seeing that plane up close. We were waiting in a holding room to be driven to the tarmac along with the Grahams, Senate Candidate Kendric Meek and Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schulz.

Then word came from the Secret Service that Jeff and I could not go to the tarmac. Even though the Senator told that we had clearance from the White House, the Secret Service overruled that. There is no way, the pastors are going to the tarmac!! I was looking forward to ride with the Senator in the motorcade, one ride without stopping at red lights...but that was not to be.

So Jeff and I were driven to Fountain Bleu Hotel where we were promised front row seats next to the Grahams to meet the President.

When we arrived at the hotel we were whisked through the VIP entrance, our names were checked on the list, our hands were stamped, and we went through security check. And we stood at the front of the rope lines with nothing separating us from the podium. All the movers and shakers of the Florida Democratic Party were with us in that enclosed area. Few of them made speeches but I was only interested in seeing and hearing the President.

The President arrived on state at 5.30 and spoke for about 30 minutes. I was fifteen feet away from the President and could see and hear him well.He is charismatic and energetic in person as I had expected. At the end of the speech he came down the rope line to shake hands. While shaking his hands, I told him; "Mr. President, I pray for you everyday." And he said: "Thank you, I need it." It was an electric moment.

As he was moving away, Mrs. Graham who was standing right behind me said: "Mr. President, can I take your picture with my pastors?" The President came back, kissed Mrs. Graham on the cheek and posed. The photo on my Facebook page was taken by Adele Graham. It is the only picture that the President posed for at this event. I was happy.

After the event, we drove to the MSNBC studios on Bayside because the Senator had to appear on COUNTDOWN with Keith Olberman and talk about the troops leaving Iraq. Senator Graham had voted against the Iraq war and they wanted to get his opinion on this historic day. Later, we were driven back to the Senator's Office and I got home around 10 PM. It was a great day.

I am so grateful to Senator Graham for his kindness to make this day possible. Sen. and Mrs. Graham are very kind and down to earth people, always willing to help and I will always value and cherish their kindness and friendship.
Posted by Paul Veliyathil at 4:49 AM 0 comments

No comments:

Post a Comment