Friday, January 15, 2010

GOD AND HAITI

The earthquake in Haiti has once again brought God-talk into the fray. During my hospice round, on the day after the quak, I met with several natives of Haiti who are health care workers. My heart broke for them and most of the time words were so inadequate to express my feelings of empathy and compassion for them. But surprisingly, I found them to be calm and collected, with no sense of anger or anxiety. All of them had family members in Haiti and none of them had heard from them. But I detected no anxiety in them. Their trust in God was palpable. They believed that the earthquake was the will of God. They believed that these are signs of the end of times predicted in the Bible. They believed that they would meet their loved ones who may have perished in the quake in heaven.

Even though I did not agree with their interpretation of the Bible or their concept of God, I could not disagree with their faith. I don't believe that this earthquake or any natural disaster for that matter, is a punishment from God. I don't believe in a punishing God. If it is a punishment, there are several other areas of the planet that really deserves it more than poor Haiti.

Why such a disaster happened in Haiti. I don't know. And if anyone gives an answer to that question, I will run so far and fast away from that person. The fact of the matter is, no one knows. Every person who comes up with an answer is just speculating or trying to make sense of the mysterious and the riddle.

The answer is I don't know. What I know for sure is that the God I experience will help the people of Haiti and me to get through this terribly sad time.That God will mobilize the hearts of God's people to bring comfort, and solace to God's people.

In the meantime,I stand in awe before the mystery and unpredictability of life itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment